Friday, April 30, 2010

Ah...old Italian men


Now I have had my fair share of older Italian suitors...but none have been quite as direct as the gentleman my friend Miss Mira encountered in the Milan train station last week.

She was sitting down waiting for her train when this older man (or "vecchiotto" as Chiara would say, which basically means "old dude") sat down next to her. He proceeded to inquire about her language skills to see if they had a common language.

Miss Mira is not only super cute but also super sweet...and thought this man needed help finding his train.

Ultimately it became clear to the gentleman that he was going to have to utilize the bit of English he knew in order to engage with this bellissima americana.

I have a feeling he was hoping to frame the following proposal to Miss Mira in a slightly more charming and possibly more persuasive manner:

"You. Me. Sleep together. My house."

This proposal took my friend a bit by surprise...and was not the type of help that she was willing to provide to this roughly 70+ year old man.

After picking her jaw up off the floor, she declined his proposal. He simply shrugged his shoulders and said "Ok. Ciao." and went on his way.

Gotta give him credit for trying and for his bluntness (even though this was probably more so due to his limited English vocabulary).

I have spent a bit of time with an older Italian gentlemen recently and can't quite determine his intentions. He did bake me a Pastiera Napoletana (a typical Easter cake from Naples).

Does that translate to "You. Me. Sleep together. My house."??

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

- Zucca

No comments: