Monday, March 29, 2010

Sei in Forma

I have become quite familiar with this particular Italian phrase since my return to Italy a little over a month ago.

literal translation = you are in form

in most cases, if an Italian tells you "sei in forma," they think you are in good shape and you should take it as a compliment. In Italia, a person goes to the gym to "rimanere in forma."

but, it can get a little tricky.

Let's take me as an example.

I have been told by just about everyone in Soave that "sei piu in forma." So according to everyone in the town of Soave, I am actually more "in form" or seem more in shape than the last time they saw me.

But in my case, it also means that I have gained a little weight and have more of a shape to me now. Of course everyone has assured me that I look much better now because I was "troppo magra" before (or "too skinny").

Now. I should take this as a compliment and feel super confident.

...but when a close male friend gives ya a big squeeze, pulls away but still keeps hold of one of your arms like it is a "ala di pollo" (chicken wing), nods a few times and then proceeds to tell you "sei piu in forma," it can be a bit difficult.

It can also be a bit difficult when literally the first thing out of everyone's mouth upon seeing you again after roughly a year is "sei piu in forma."

...and when a toast is dedicated to you being "piu in forma" at your welcome back dinner at your favorite local trattoria.

Regardless, I am going to work on fighting my natural inclination to think the skinnier the better and whole-heartedly embrace this idea of me looking better with a little more meat on my bones...since apparently everyone else has.

Cheers!!

- Zucca

No comments: